The law gives you rights over your health information. As a patient, you have many privacy rights about your medical record and other health information under the federal law known as HIPAA. Carolinas HealthCare System is committed to protecting your privacy and upholding your privacy rights.
We want to help our patients understand their privacy rights. We also want patients to understand how to exercise these rights and what to expect from Carolinas HealthCare System.
Your Privacy Rights:
- You have the right to look at and get a copy of your health information.
- You have the right to know when and why we have given your health information to others without your authorization (in certain situations).
- You have the right to ask Carolinas HealthCare System not to share your health information with certain people, groups, or companies.
- You have the right to ask us to add information to your medical record if it is missing, and the right to ask us to change information in your medical record if something is wrong.
- You have the right to tell us how and where you would like us to contact you.
You can review our Notice of Privacy Practices for more information about your privacy rights.