Learn more about the Center for Advanced Practice at Carolinas HealthCare System.
The goal of the Center for Advanced Practice fellowship program at Carolinas HealthCare System is to provide exposure to an array of complex disease processes in the acute, primary and urgent care settings to prepare the advanced clinical practitioner (ACP) to deliver superior patient care while in a protected learning environment.
The one year, post-graduate fellowship programs are appropriate for new nurse practitioners (NP) and physician assistant (PA) graduates, as well as advanced clinical practitioners wishing to change disciplines or career paths . The programs have semi-annual start dates in April and October.
Goals of the Fellowship:
- Allows both NPs and PAs to demonstrate improved clinical outcomes while obtaining the clinical knowledge and expertise needed to practice at the top of license.
- Serves as an immersion in specific specialty competencies to prepare these ACP for critical thinking above the level received in their formal education.
- Serves to expand the ACP's knowledge of evidenced-based practice, basic research techniques, guideline development and quality improvement initiatives.
Overall, the fellowship prepares the ACP to be a well-rounded provider, leader and resource within the healthcare team. In addition to scheduled simulation labs, case presentations and team learning discussions, fellows experience real-time patient care as licensed ACPs in various patient care units with a gradual ease into independence.
Each fellow graduate is equipped with the crucial experience in many specialty-specific rotations and procedures, as well as an established network of providers within other specialties.
Post-Graduate Acute Care Fellowship Program
The post-graduate acute care fellowship program allows both NPs and PAs to develop the knowledge base to perform procedures and life-saving interventions in various high acuity patient populations and situations. The fellowship concentrates on typical difficulties with transition to practice, and prepares the ACP to perform in a specialized acute care setting while developing foundational specialty-specific skills and knowledge.
Five inpatient specialties available:
- Medical critical care (ACNPs and PAs only)
- Acute care surgery (ACNPs and PAs only)
- Carolinas Hospitalist Group
Other specialty tracks are being developed.
The first three months of all inpatient specialties are spent in a core critical care curriculum with intensive care unit rotations at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, NC. The last nine months will be spent in specialty curriculum with didactic and clinical responsibilities.
Post-Graduate Ambulatory Care Fellowship Program
The post-graduate primary care fellowship program allows both NPs and PAs to develop confidence in the practice setting through a team-based approach integrated with an advanced behavioral health component essential for primary care providers. The primary care fellowship program delivers the opportunity for ACPs to become board certified in primary care while exposing them to a variety of specialized behavioral health environments that they may not have experienced in their formal education.
Three primary care specialties available:
- Family medicine (FNPs and PAs only)
- Internal medicine
The first three weeks of all primary care specialties are spent in core curriculum focusing on orientation, clinical placement, office skills, patient interactions and professionalism.
Post-Graduate Urgent Care Fellowship Program
The post-graduate urgent care fellowship program allows both NPs and PAs to develop the knowledge base to perform patient care for acute and chronic illness, as well as injuries, in an outpatient setting, while establishing skill sets for efficiency of practice and management of patient flow with utilization of appropriate resources. The fellowship concentrates on the delivery of care in a variety of fast paced office environments.
- Urgent care (FNPs and PAs only)
- Pediatric urgent care (PNPs and PAs only)
The CAP Difference
- Robust 12-month curriculum composed of didactics, online classrooms, simulation, proctored invasive procedures and directed clinical experiences
- Unique PA and NP collaboration
- Highly competitive year-long stipend paid bi-weekly
- Sign-on bonus if extended an employment offer after graduation
- Higher starting salary for fellowship graduates
- Employee status with Carolinas HealthCare System, with full time benefits including PTO and healthcare coverage
- Completion of graduate degree is required prior to the start of the fellowship program (you may apply prior to graduation)
- National board certification as an NP or PA
- Eligible for licensure as a PA or NP in North Carolina
The following documents are required:
- Completed application
- Curriculum Vitae, official transcripts, and copies of certifications and licensure as you receive them
- Copy of BLS card
- Copy of ACLS card (if applying for an acute care track)
- Copy of PALS card (if applying for a pediatric track)
- Three reference forms (at least one from your program faculty)
- One-page statement of interest in postgraduate fellowship training and the particular fellowship specialty you are selecting
- Recent headshot
Note: Candidates selected for an interview will be notified within three weeks of the application deadline.
- Fall 2014 (October 1, 2014) application deadline: April 1, 2014
- Spring 2015 (April 1, 2015) application deadline: October 1, 2014
- Fall 2015 (October 1, 2015) application deadline: April 1, 2015
Download the application for the CAP Fellowship (PDF)
Download the CAP Fellowship acute care reference form (PDF)
Download the CAP Fellowship primary care reference form (PDF)
Download the CAP Fellowship urgent care reference form (PDF)
Britney Hagy, DNP, ACNP-BC
NP Fellowship Director
Carolinas HealthCare System
Center for Advanced Practice
Email: Britney Hagy
Cragin Greene, PA-C, MHS
PA Fellowship Director
Carolinas HealthCare System
Center for Advanced Practice
Email: Cragin Greene
P.O. Box 32861
Charlotte, NC 28232-2861
1000 Blythe Blvd., Third Floor, Annex Building
Charlotte, NC 28203