Located at Carolinas HealthCare System’s Carolinas Medical Center, the hepatopancreaticobiliary (HPB) program provides specialized care to patients with diseases of the liver, biliary tract and pancreas.
Our surgical team offers you the latest techniques and technologies to treat your HPB disease. These include interventional radiology, medical oncology, therapeutic endoscopy and radiation therapy.
The most commonly treated conditions in the HPB program include:
- Primary liver cancer
- Metastatic liver cancer
- Benign liver neoplasms
- Cystic liver diseases
- Biliary neoplasms
- Pancreatic cancer
- Other pancreatic neoplasms
- Portal hypertension
- Chronic pancreatitis
- Necrotizing pancreatitis
Surgeries to treat these conditions include:
- Liver resection
- Liver tumor ablation
- Pancreatic resection (Whipple Procedure)
- Irreversible electroporation (IRE)
- Biliary resection
Why Choose our HPB Program?
- One of most experienced HPB teams in the nation with over 2,500 patient encounters a year
- Our doctors are nationally and internationally recognized for their contributions and influence on the growth of HPB surgery
- One of the three highest volume centers in North America for robotic HPB surgery
- Clinical trials unit provides access to the newest, most innovative therapies and treatment options available
- Low wait times for consultation and surgery
- Dedicated support staff
- Evidence based post-operative management in an enhanced recovery unit for all HPB surgery patients.
Meet Our Team
Our mission is straight-forward: to provide our patients with the highest quality care available. Many of our physicians are nationally and internationally renowned in their area of expertise and share best practices with their peers.
- David Iannitti, MD, FACS
- John Martinie, MD, FACS
- Dionisios (Dennis) Vrochides, MD, PhD
- Erin Baker, MD
- Janet Desamero, PA-C
- Cesar Aviles, NP-C
- Misty Eller, NP-C
- Melissa Flood, NP-C
Morehead Medical Plaza
1025 Morehead Medical Dr.
Charlotte, NC 28204
Levine Cancer Institute
1021 Morehead Medical Dr.
Charlotte, NC 28204
We work with you to ensure you receive the highest quality care available.
Together, we'll determine a personalized treatment plan based on your needs. And our referral coordinators will assist you in obtaining an appointment with the appropriate physician.
Refer a patient:
To refer a patient, call 704-355-1813 for non-cancer cases and 980-442-2000 for cancer cases.