The primary mission of Research Administration is to provide support and infrastructure for clinical-translational and bench research. The goal of our research is to develop new, better and more cost-effective treatments for the patients and communities that we serve, as well as for patients and communities everywhere.
Among the Office of Research Administration's activities are:
- Oversight of all clinical and basic science research activities conducted at or in association with Carolinas Medical Center
- Administration of human, animal and basic science research overview committees involved in pre-award evaluation of external and intramural research proposals
- Current and Research Application development
- Post-award administration of research grants and contracts
- Accreditation and safety monitoring of Cannon Research Center facilities and related activities
- Coordination of support services and facilities for funded research activities
- Development of industrial relations and oversight of technology transfer activities
- Coordinate and manage intellectual property and technology transfer
In the performance of its responsibilities, the Office is committed to the highest professional and ethical standards in the conduct of all research and related activities and to the continued development and promotion of Carolinas Medical Center as a nationally recognized institution of excellence.
Clinical and bench research at Carolinas Medical Center are collaborative efforts involving individual medical specialty departments within the Division of Medical Education and Research and multi-disciplinary centers and institutes throughout Carolinas HealthCare System. In addition, medical practices within Carolinas Physician Network and regional education and research institutions such as the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Clemson University and the NC Biomedical Research Campus, Kannapolis, play an ever-increasing role in expanding the depth and breadth of ongoing research. These collaborative efforts along with participation in numerous multi-institutional clinical trials have established Carolinas Medical Center as a premier regional and national institution with a reputation for excellence in patient care, education and research.
Research Laboratories and Facilities
Research activities are currently performed in two dozen core facilities and laboratories within Cannon Research Center and Carolinas Rehabilitation in addition to medical imaging facilities and clinical laboratories throughout Carolinas HealthCare System. Physicians and PhD researchers in a wide variety of medical, life sciences and engineering disciplines and a dedicated support staff collaborate to direct and conduct research activities in these state-of-the-art facilities.
- Bernard C. Brigonnet, MBA, Corporate Vice President for Research
- Herbert L. Bonkovsky, MD, Senior Adviser for Research
- Angela Sanford, MBA, AVP of Research Finance
- Joan Connell, RN, Director, Office of Clinical and Translational Research
- Caren Anderson, Application Specialist
- Melanie McDermid, Staff Assistant
- Kay Snider, Staff Assistant
- Cecilia Hurtado, Staff Assistant