Patients and family members offer unique ideas and perspectives that enhance care and services across Carolinas HealthCare System. That is why the System’s Patient Experience Division has established the volunteer role of Patient and Family Advisor. These advisors share our commitment to create and sustain partnerships with patients and families that enhance quality, safety and experience in healthcare.
Role of Advisors
Patient and Family Advisors serve on committees and contribute to special projects that help Carolinas HealthCare System plan, evaluate and expand services. They play a critical role in developing policies, programs, educational materials and services that support putting the patient first, always.
The relationships and roles of patient and family advisors are diverse and continue to evolve. Our advisors:
- Provide valuable input to create an excellent patient experience
- Help us build stronger partnerships between patients, families and Carolinas HealthCare System team members
Criteria for Being an Advisor
Ideal candidates will have the passion and ability to:
- Have direct experience as a patient, family member or caregiver at Carolinas HealthCare System
- Work in partnership with others, and collaborate on solutions
- Listen and reflect on issues, thoughts and priorities that are different than their own
- Respect and maintain confidentiality of patient and organization information
We believe that Patient and Family Advisors should reflect the social and cultural diversity of the patients and families we serve, so we welcome and encourage participants from all backgrounds and experiences to apply.
The time commitment required is dependent on the specific project or committee. Advisor opportunities include projects that range from attending only one meeting to ongoing Advisory Council membership, which may require a long-term commitment to attend regular meetings.
How do I get started?
- Make sure you meet the criteria for being a patient and family advisor.
- Complete the application (PDF) and application process (includes a background check)
- Attend orientation
Please email us if you have any If you have questions about becoming a Patient and Family Advisor.