During the academic year 2015-2016, salaries for house staff in the Graduate Medical Education Programs at Carolinas Medical Center are as follows:
- PGY-1 $49,918
- PGY-2 $51,178
- PGY-3 $52,969
- PGY-4 $54,822
- PGY-5 $56,740
- PGY-6 $58,727
- PGY-7 $60,783
- PGY-8 $62,909
CMC provides (at no charge to the House Staff) medical coverage under the Choice 30 Plan or Choice 30 Plan, prescription drug coverage with CarolinaCare/Catamaran and dental coverage with DELTA Dental Plan for House Staff and their family members. Professional liability, life, and disability insurances are provided for House Staff only. Vision plan and other voluntary benefits are available with premiums being payroll deducted.
Premiums for medical coverage are paid for House Staff and their families for the Choice 30 Plan. House Staff will be responsible for deductibles and co-pays for office visits, prescription and dental expenses.
- House staff receives the equivalent of two week's vacation each academic year with one additional week during their third year or subsequent years of training.
- An additional five days per academic year is allowed for an educational trip (including conferences) for which tuition and expenses up to $1,900 are provided. Excess monies after the trip serve as a textbook allowance.
- Free parking is provided in a designated area adjacent to the hospital.
- A meal allowance is provided for all residents on a monthly basis to use at any cafeteria in the hospital.
- Residents receive three lab coats at the start of intern year and one each subsequent year with laundry service at no charge.
- The department maintains a fully stocked library with all major textbooks and journals. Additionally, residents have access to the AHEC library services and the UNC library system.