Pediatric endocrinologists are medical doctors who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions affecting a child's endocrine system, which includes the pituitary, thyroid, and adrenal glands, among others.
Because these glands produce hormones that regulate a variety of functions including growth and development, metabolism and blood sugar, when they malfunction the body can suffer from various adverse conditions and diseases. Diabetes mellitus, thyroid disease, pubertal abnormalities, and growth disorders are among the most common endocrine and metabolic disorders.
NorthEast Pediatric Endocrinology Services
- Diabetes mellitus (Types I and II)
- Abnormal calcium and/or phosphorus metabolism
- Abnormal pubertal development (precocious or delayed, including amenorrhea)
- Abnormalities of vitamin D or parathyroid hormone secretion
- Adrenal conditions (CAH, adrenal insufficiency, adrenal excess)
- Ambiguous genitalia
- Disorders of the anterior pituitary (diabetes insipidus, SIADH)
- Growth failure
- Insulin resistance
- Pheochromocytoma and the multiple endocrine neoplasia syndromes
- Rapid growth
- Thyroid conditions