Contact a Sports Medicine Specialist:
Carolinas Medical Center's Department of Sports Medicine & Special Events includes a wide range of medical providers.
Our staff of over 100 includes physicians, paramedics, emergency medical technicians, registered nurses, and certified athletic trainers. Each member of our team fulfills a specific role in the prevention, assessment and immediate care of activity and non-activity related injuries. Below are the types of medical coverage and some of the types of personnel and that are offered within our medical coverage.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS): Medical care that incorporates advanced airway, medications, cardiac, and/or trauma care via paramedic or higher level of personnel.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS): Medical care that incorporates basic first aid, cardiac, and/or trauma care standards.
- Pre-hospital Medicine Physician: Uses state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic procedures in the treatment of medical emergency injuries at events.
- Sports Medicine Physician: Specializes in musculoskeletal and medical sports-related health care problems with athletes of all ages.
- Registered Nurse (RN): Provides patient assessment, immediate care and education, through direct support from our physicians.
- Paramedic (EMT-P): Provides patient assessment and advanced life support through direct support of our physicians.
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT): Provides patient assessment and basic immediate care through direct support of our physicians.
- Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC): Specialists in prevention, evaluation, immediate care or treatment and rehabilitation of athletic injuries both on and off the field, through the direct support of our physicians.
The department also offers Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) to Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) transportation services for events, as requested.