From our three bases, MedCenter Air serves North and South Carolina.
MedCenter Air operations three helicopters 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our bases include:
- Charlotte Base–Med1 at Concord Airport
- Blue Ridge Base–Med2 at Hickory Airport
- South Carolina Base–Med3 at Rock Hill/York County/Bryant Field Airport in Rock Hill, SC
- View the helicopter service area (IMG)
- Twin engines
- IFR capabilities
- Satellite tracked
- Night vision goggles
- Advanced medical equipment including LP-15 monitors, LTV1200 ventilators, IV infusion pumps, advanced drug supply and Intra Aortic Balloon Pump
- Two units of blood
Our MedCenter Air helicopters serve a 150-mile radius from each base and are equipped to make scene and inter-facility responses. Each helicopter is equipped to maintain radio contact throughout the flight with an Emergency Department physician.
MedCenter Air's pilots are provided under contract from Airmethods Corporation. Pilots must have completed a minimum of 3,000 hours of previous helicopter flight time and 1,000 hours in turbine helicopters. In addition, all pilots must be instrument- and night-qualified as well as current in their assigned aircraft. Each year, all are required to complete an FAA first-class flight physically.
MedCenter Air's highly qualified crew must have RN/RN or RN/RRT configuration. Nurses and Therapists have three to five years' experience in ICU or ER medicine, and must be cross-credentialed with EMS certifications. Our crew also receives advanced training in aeromedical physiology, aircraft safety and transport protocols. Additional requirements include TNCC, ITLS, ATLS, ACLS, PALS, NRP-certified, yearly rotations through high-risk OB, OR and cardiac catherization labs for procedure training.