Alert: Because flu cases are on the rise, children 12 and younger will be restricted from visiting hospitals and certain inpatient facilities. Learn more.

In order to provide safe, high quality care when you are treated at Carolinas HealthCare System, your health information may be used or shared by Carolinas HealthCare System employees who are caring for you. Your health information may also be shared with others outside of Carolinas HealthCare System without your permission for reasons allowed by law. For example, we may be required to report your information under state public health laws. When your health information is shared outside of Carolinas HealthCare System, it is known as a “disclosure.” You have the right to ask for a listing of the persons or organizations we have shared your information with, subject to certain exceptions. This is known as a request for an Accounting of Disclosures.

We want to help you understand your right to request an Accounting of Disclosures, as well as what to expect from Carolinas HealthCare System.

What to Expect:

  • You can ask for an Accounting of Disclosures by completing the Request for Accounting of Disclosures form and sending it to Corporate HIM, Attention: Administration at Carolinas HealthCare System, PO Box 32861, Charlotte, NC 28232-2861.
  • An Accounting of Disclosures is not a list of people that have viewed your electronic health record for treatment, payment or Carolinas HealthCare System business activities.
  • An Accounting of Disclosures does not include whom we have shared your health information with when we have received an authorization signed by you or when we have given you a copy of your own record.
  • In most cases, you will receive a letter in the mail within 60 days of the date we received your request. The letter will tell you whom we have shared your health information with and why. 
  • If we are not able to respond to your request within 60 days of receiving it, we will send you a letter telling you why and also telling you when you can expect to get an answer to your request.

Note that the law allows us an additional 30 days to answer you if we need more time.