- PGY-1: Two weeks plus several days holiday break
- PGY-2: Two weeks plus several days holiday break
- PGY-3: Three weeks plus several days holiday break*
- PGY-4: Two weeks plus several days holiday break*
- PGY-5: Two weeks plus several days holiday break*
Five days per year devoted to away-conference attendance.
*Additional week of vacation to be taken during third year OR subsequent year.
Continuing Medical Education
CME allowance of $1,900 per year
- UpToDate and MDConsult are free through Carolinas HealthCare System and the AHEC Digital Library
- Easy access to reference material is available in the AHEC Library & Resource Center
- Classes are offered to assist staff in finding and managing the literature effectively
CMC provides (at no charge to the House Staff) medical coverage under the Choice 20 Plan, prescription drug coverage (CarolinaCare and WHI), and Delta Dental Plan for House Staff members and their dependents.
Premiums for medical insurance are paid for House Staff and their dependents only if the Choice 20 Plan is chosen. House Staff will be responsible for co-pays for office visits, prescription and dental expenses.
Professional Liability Insurance
- Full coverage while functioning in the role of a house officer
- Moonlighting activity is not covered outside the CHS system
- Employer provides term life insurance equal to annual salary for employee only
- Additional coverage for employee and dependents available through payroll deduction
- Provided after 90 days, Amount based on salary when disability begins
- Amount based on salary when disability begins
- Three coats provided initially
- One coat allowed each following academic year
- Laundry service provided at no charge
- Evening and breakfast meals provided for weekdays on-call
- Three meals provided for weekend call
- Lunch provided daily
- Free covered parking is provided
- Permitted in PGY 2 & 3 years, but subject to approval by the Residency Director
- Must have a permanent, unrestricted North Carolina State medical license
- Not permitted if it interferes with the resident's performance in the training program, violates duty hour restrictions, or when on duty for other required curricular activities