Cerebrovascular illnesses include a number of conditions requiring specialized and individualized approaches to care. Carolinas HealthCare System Neurosciences Institute provides around-the-clock, state-of-the-art neurologic, radiosurgical, neurosurgical and endovascular treatment for all cerebrovascular conditions, including:
Carolinas Stroke Network
Carolinas Stroke Network is an integrated, comprehensive network of 13 hospitals that exceeds the current standards for stroke diagnosis and treatment throughout the region.
Our experts determine the best treatment plan for each patient and coordinate transfer to our comprehensive stroke centers for those needing more advanced specialized care.
Read More About the Carolinas Stoke Network
- Ischemic stroke, including tPA and catheter-based therapies
- Transient ischemic attacks
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Vascular malformations of the brain, spine, head and neck, including arteriovenous malformations (AVMs), cavernous malformations and arteriovenous fistula
- Carotid and vertebral dissection and fibromuscular dysplasia
- Atherosclerotic disease - carotid and vertebral stenosis or intracranial stenosis
- Cerebral hemorrhage
- Moya-moya disease
- Rarer causes of stroke, such as cerebral vasculitis, mitochondrial disorders and Lupus
Our stroke programs offer effective protocols for rapid treatment and management of stroke and cerebrovascular disease. We provide a comprehensive, team-oriented approach to patient care that includes physicians, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, a social worker, counseling for depression/anxiety, a dietitian and an exercise consultant. Our multidisciplinary approach to patient care integrates all services, allowing us to provide each individual with a care plan tailored to their specific needs.
Services available at the stroke center include:
- Acute and chronic stroke management
- 24-hour emergent stroke treatment including tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) and interventional therapies such as angioplasty, stent placement, merci retrieval device and penumbra instrumentation
- Care for patients who have had a stroke due to thrombosis or embolism
- One of the largest comprehensive stroke rehabilitation programs in the Southeast
Learn More About Stroke
Rick Dunlap shares his experience of having a stroke and how the team at Carolinas HealthCare System helped him recover in days.
Joan Hampton discusses how Carolinas Stroke Network helped her recover from a stroke.