For more information or for patient referral, contact us at:
When your child receives a cancer or blood disorder diagnosis, your whole world is turned upside down. There are no better partners than the experts at the Torrence E. Hemby Jr. Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Center at Levine Children’s Hospital in Charlotte, NC.
Named a “Best Children’s Hospital" by U.S. News & World Report for cancer, our clinicians use the most advanced treatments and techniques to cure your child’s cancer so they can live a long, healthy life.
Multidisciplinary Approach to Care
Our team of board-certified pediatric hematology and oncology physicians, specially trained nurses, research coordinators, social workers, research pharmacists and support staff are here for you and your child 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We can help your child battle pediatric cancers such as solid tumors, brain tumors, leukemia and lymphomas, and blood disorders, including anemia, sickle cell and hemophilia.
We perform state-of-the-art procedures such as blood and marrow transplantations, stem cell transplants, chemotherapy and radiation, as well as surgery. We are the only blood and marrow transplant program in Charlotte, and in 2012, our expert program had the best survival rate for children in the nation.
Child life specialists are available to help you and your child understand and cope with his or her diagnosis. Our team can help you and your family with anything you need; no question or request is too big or too small. We also have a clinic for long-term cancer survivors, which focuses on your child’s wellness and monitors him or her for any potential late-effects of treatment throughout his or her life.
Leading the Way in Pediatric Cancer Research
Levine Children’s Hospital is dedicated to achieving the best possible outcomes for children and teens with cancer. We’ve joined forces with the Therapeutic Advances in Childhood Leukemia and Lymphoma and the Neuroblastoma and Medulloblastoma Translational Research Consortium. Our Developmental Therapeutics Program provides children with access to new medications and therapies that have previously been unavailable in our region.
We offer more than 60 clinical trials and studies and are part of the internationally recognized Children’s Oncology Group–a collaboration of patients, researchers and hospitals at the forefront of pediatric cancer research.
Many of these clinical trials and studies are funded by the Carolinas Kids Cancer Research Coalition, made up of nonprofit organizations dedicated to supporting pediatric cancer research and services at Levine Children’s Hospital. Learn more about the Carolinas Kids Cancer Research Coalition.
The pediatric hematology and oncology clinic provides outpatient care in a child-friendly environment. With brightly colored artwork, games and activities, everything is geared toward children, helping them heal and helping them smile. Conveniently located at Medical Center Plaza in Charlotte, the clinic is right next door to Levine Children’s Hospital. If you have any questions or would like your physician to make a referral, call 704-381-9900.
Pediatric Cancer and Blood Disorders Services
As one of the fastest growing programs at Levine Children's Hospital, the Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Center treats patients with a wide variety of pediatric cancers and blood disorders including:
- Brain tumors
- Kidney cancer
- Bone and soft tissue tumors
- Blood disorders such as sickle cell, anemia, hemophilia and von Willebrand disease
The Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Center also offers neuro-oncology services and blood and marrow transplantation. With continuing expansion of our medical staff, we now have a robust team of board-certified pediatric hematology/oncology physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners with in-depth expertise of a full range of childhood cancers, offering extensive knowledge surrounding medical, surgical, radiologic and transplant treatments.
Our Developmental Therapeutics Program brings Phase I and Phase II clinical trials to the Charlotte area for the first time. Our goal is to make a significant difference in the lives of children with leukemia, lymphoma and other childhood cancers every day.
Why Choose Pediatric Hematology Oncology Center at Levine Children's Hospital?
- We are committed to achieving the best possible outcomes for children with cancer.
- Bone marrow transplant, stem cell transplant, and brain tumor programs bring services to the Charlotte region that otherwise were only available at distant cancer centers.
- Our sickle cell anemia multidisciplinary team offers acute and comprehensive long term care to over 400 children, adolescents and young adults with the disease using the latest medical and technological advances.
- Our pediatric oncology/hematology clinical research includes over 60 clinical trials and studies through the internationally recognized Children's Oncology Group, a collaborative initiative including patients, researchers and hospitals throughout the world.
- The Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Center has joined two widely recognized consortia dedicated to fighting childhood cancer: Therapeutic Advances in Childhood Leukemia and Lymphoma (TACL), and the Neuroblastoma and Medulloblastoma Translational Research Consortium (NMTRC). Affiliation with these organizations will give children in the Carolinas access to novel drugs which were previously not available in the Carolinas.
- Child life specialists are available to help the child and family understand and cope with different diagnoses.
- CARE (Caring About Remission Everyday) Clinic for long term cancer survivors focuses on wellness and surveillance of potential late-effects of therapy.