The Torrence E. Hemby Jr., Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Center is one of the fastest growing programs at Levine Children's Hospital. The center treats patients with a wide variety of pediatric oncology/hematology conditions including:
- Brain tumors
- Kidney cancer
- Bone and soft tissue tumors
- Blood disorders such as sickle cell, anemia, hemophilia, and von Willenbrand disease
Why choose Levine's pediatric hematology oncology center?
- Bone marrow transplant, stem cell transplant, and brain tumor programs bring services to the Charlotte region that otherwise were only available at distant cancer centers.
- Our sickle cell anemia multidisciplinary team offers acute and comprehensive long term care to more than 400 children, adolescents and young adults with the disease using the latest medical and technological advances.
- Our pediatric oncology/hematology clinical research includes more than 60 clinical trials and studies through the internationally recognized Children's Oncology Group, a collaborative initiative including patients, researchers and hospitals throughout the world.
- The Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Center has joined two widely recognized consortia dedicated to fighting childhood cancer: Therapeutic Advances in Childhood Leukemia and Lymphoma (TACL), and the Neuroblastoma and Medulloblastoma Translational Research Consortium (NMTRC). Affiliation with these organizations will give children in the Carolinas access to novel drugs which were previously not available in the Carolinas.
- Child Life staff are available to help the child and family understand and cope with different diagnoses.
- CARE Clinic for long term cancer survivors focuses on wellness and surveillance of potential late-effects of therapy.
Carolina Kids Cancer Research Coalition
The Carolinas Kids Cancer Research Coalition consists of nonprofit organizations dedicated to supporting pediatric cancer research and services at Levine Children's Hospital.
Founding members of the coalition are:
- the Leon Levine Foundation
- the Alex Hemby Foundation
- the Adam Faulk Tanksley Foundation
- the Baby J Ladley Fund
- the Quail Hollow Championship
- Brett's Ride for Rhabdo
- 24 Hours of Booty
The coalition has announced endowment commitments of $5.7 million to the Levine Children's Hospital in support of the development of Phase I and Phase II clinical trials.
Learn more about:
If you have questions or would like to make a referral please call us at 704-381-9900.