Patient & Visitor Alert: Because flu cases are on the rise, starting February 24, children 12 and younger will be restricted from visiting hospitals and certain inpatient facilities throughout Carolinas HealthCare System. Learn more.
Scheduling Your Patient for Pediatric Anesthesia (For Physicians)
1) Verify patient's age.
Infants less than a certain post gestational age must be admitted to the hospital and monitored overnight
52 weeks post gestational age for premature infants.
44 weeks post gestational age for term infants.
Here is an example: Patient born at 30 weeks gestation, now 10 weeks old is scheduled for an MRI with anesthesia. This patient will require admission post procedure for apnea monitoring since the patient has not reached 52 weeks post gestational age for premature infants. (30 weeks + 10 weeks = 40 weeks PGA)
Please arrange to admit these patients.
If you do not have privileges at the hospital please contact the inpatient hospitalist team to admit.
2) Call 704-355-1432 to schedule the patient.
3) Please send history and physical including a list of medical problems and the reason for the scan or procedure.
4) Does patient have significant coexisting medical problems including congenital heart disease?
If yes, please schedule for anesthesia pre-op clinic at 704-381-5105
5) Please leave a contact number.
6) Notify patients of NPO criteria.
No solids/milk/formula/breast milk for 4 hours before procedure
No clear liquids for 2 hours before procedure
Over 6 months old
No solids/milk/formula/breast milk for 6 hours before procedure