Patients and families have a unique perspective and can often provide ideas to further enhance care and services provided across the System. To support our commitment, the Patient Experience Division has Patient and Family Advisors, who share our commitment to create and sustain partnerships with patients and families that enhance the quality, safety and experience of healthcare.
Role of Advisors
Patient and Family Advisors typically serve on committees and contribute to special projects that help Carolinas HealthCare System plan, evaluate and expand services needed. These advisors play a critical role in the development of policies, programs, educational materials, and services that support our commitment to putting the patient first, always.
The relationships and roles of Patient and Family Advisors are diverse and continue to evolve at Carolinas HealthCare System. There are many benefits of being an advisor, including:
- Providing valuable input to create an excellent patient experience
- Empowerment knowing that the patient and family voice can make a difference
- Networking and exchanging ideas or experiences with other patients and families
- Increased understanding and stronger partnerships between patients, families and Carolinas HealthCare System staff
- Feeling satisfied after seeing your suggestions applied
Ideal candidates will have the passion and ability to:
- Support Carolinas HealthCare System’s mission: “Create and operate a comprehensive System to provide healthcare and related services, including education and research opportunities, for the benefit of the people we serve.”
- Commit to improving care for all patients and family members
- Work in partnership with others, and collaborate on solutions
- Listen and reflect on issues, thoughts and priorities that are different than their own
- See beyond their personal experiences to provide input on experiences other than their own
- Respect and maintain confidentiality of patient and organization information
- Have direct experience as a patient, family member, or caregiver at Carolinas HealthCare System within the past two years
We believe that Patient and Family Advisors should reflect the social and cultural diversity of the patients and families we serve, so we welcome and encourage participants from all backgrounds and experiences.
The time commitment required is dependent on the specific project. Advisor opportunities include projects that range from attending only one meeting to ongoing Advisory Council membership, which may require a long term commitment of regular meetings.
There are many different ways to get involved as a Patient and Family Advisor. We will place you where your interests, skill sets and availability align the best. Examples of roles include being a:
- Member of committees or councils
- Community event attendee
- Liaison to hospital leadership
- Liaison for staff education
- Project manager
- Source for unique feedback
How do I get started?
- Meet the general criteria outlined above in “Qualifications”
- Complete an application and set up an interview with a Patient Experience representative (PDF)
- Attend orientation
Orientation of New Patient and Family Advisors
For patients and families to effectively participate in the role of advisors, they will need background information, training and support.
Orientation will review the following:
- Mission, vision, goals and values of Carolinas HealthCare System
- Roles and responsibilities of Patient and Family Advisors
- Confidentiality and privacy practices and expectations
- Effective collaboration with healthcare staff
At Carolinas HealthCare System, a staff liaison will be assigned to each patient and family advisor. Other staff, providers and leaders will supervise depending on the assigned project.
Please email us if you have any If you have questions about becoming a Patient and Family Advisor.