During the academic year 2012-2013, salaries for house staff in the Graduate Medical Education Programs at Carolinas Medical Center are as follows:
- PGY-1 $47,749
- PGY-2 $48,950
- PGY-3 $50,664
- PGY-4 $52,437
- PGY-5 $54,271
- PGY-6 $56,172
- PGY-7 $58,138
- PGY-8 $60,172
CMC provides medical coverage under the MedCost Choice 20 Plan, prescription drug coverage with CarolinaCARE/MedImpact HealthCare and dental coverage with CIGNA Dental Plan for House Staff and their family members. Professional liability, life, and disability insurances are provided for house staff only. Vision plan and other voluntary benefits are available with premiums deducted from payroll. Other voluntary benefits include a 401k with a contribution match, based on years of service, up to six percent from the hospital system.
- House staff receives the equivalent of two week's vacation each academic year with one additional week during their third year or subsequent years of training.
- An additional five days per academic year is allowed for an educational trip (including conferences) for which tuition and expenses up to $1,900 are provided. Excess monies after the trip serve as a textbook allowance.
- Free parking is provided in a designated area adjacent to the hospital.
- A meal allowance is provided for all residents on a monthly basis to use at any cafeteria in the hospital.
- Residents receive three lab coats at the start of intern year and one each subsequent year with laundry service at no charge.
- The department maintains a fully stocked library with all major textbooks and journals. Additionally, residents have access to the AHEC library services and the UNC library system.