Carolinas HealthCare System's Neurosciences Institute has developed a comprehensive, multidisciplinary program that provides the full spectrum of medical, physical and emotional support for patients and family members dealing with degenerative neuromuscular diseases. We are regarded as one of the premier programs - regionally, nationally and internationally - for the study and treatment of such diseases.
Distinctions of our program:
Our neuromuscular/ALS-MDA Center participates in the most current clinical trials, emphasizing research in novel pharmacological treatments and physical interventions, as well as new methods for evaluating and managing ALS patients throughout their disease process.
In addition to providing the best practices and innovative medical care, our teams are skilled at delivering interventional therapies ranging from nutrition, helping maintain weight and stamina, to respiratory, physical and speech therapies. These therapeutic services are geared toward helping our patients maintain their independence.
Adult and Pediatric Neurology
- Neuromuscular clinic
- ALS Multidisciplinary clinic
- ALS Expedited ventilator clinic
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy clinic
- Neurotoxicology clinic
- Dysimmune neuropathies
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Motor neuropathies
- Myasthenia gravis?
We offer the following diagnostic services:
- Lumbar Puncture
- Electromyography (EMG)
- Single fiber EMG
- Nerve conduction studies (NCS)
- Neuromuscular and skin neuropathy pathology
- Autonomic testing?
We offer the following interventional services:
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech therapy and augmentative communications
- Nutrition and enteral therapy
- Social work
- Respiratory therapy
- Suspension exercise therapy
- Posturography – balance testing
- Quantitative muscle testing
- Wheelchair evaluations
- Specialized Neuromuscular and ALS exercise therapy prescriptions