McKay Urology, located in Charlotte and Lincolnton, NC, is named in memory of brothers Hamilton W. McKay, MD, and Robert W. McKay, MD, who pioneered the specialty of urology in Charlotte and the Southeast.
Dr. Hamilton McKay began practicing urology in 1913; Dr. Robert McKay joined him in 1928. Their practice set a standard for urologic care in the region, and the brothers were known nationally for their scientific publications and leadership in professional organizations.
Dr. Hamilton McKay was a physician leader in the founding of Charlotte Memorial Hospital, the predecessor to Carolinas Medical Center, in 1940. Through the efforts of the McKay brothers, a residency program for urologic training was then established at Charlotte Memorial Hospital. The McKays' dedication to excellent patient care, teaching and scholarly research helped shape the institution into the medical center it is today.
Following the passing of both McKay brothers in 1967, the urologic education department at Charlotte Memorial waned and eventually closed. A new department of urology dedicated to clinical care, research, and education was created in 1995 and named in honor of the McKays.
Concurrent with the creation of McKay Urology, Carolinas Medical Center partnered with UNC-Chapel Hill to jointly educate resident physicians training in urology. Today, we at McKay Urology aspire to uphold the high standards of urologic care, teaching, and scholarship established by the McKays.