The primary focus of integrative oncology is dietary and lifestyle changes that optimize health and wellbeing. Complementary medical therapies from other healing traditions (such as yoga, massage therapy, guided imagery and the proper use of medicinal herbs) are also offered under the umbrella of integrative oncology where sound evidence of effectiveness and safety exist.
Integrative oncology practitioners work collaboratively with the primary oncology team to address the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of patients and their family members throughout treatment and survivorship. Programs include:
- Healing Touch - Healing Touch is a relaxing, nurturing, non-invasive energy therapy. Gentle touch assists in balancing your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being. Healing Touch works with your energy field to support your natural ability to heal. It is safe for all ages and works in harmony with standard medical care. The practitioner places hands gently on or above the patient and focuses on adjusting the energy field.
- Yoga - Yoga uses a combination of postures, rhythmic breathing and meditation, and is said to contribute to physical and mental well-being.
- Massage Therapy - Therapeutic massage is used to reduce symptoms, improve coping, and enhance quality of life.
- Tai Chi - Tai chi uses slow, controlled movements to reduce symptoms and enhance quality of life.
- Deep Relaxation and Mindfulness Classes - Classes designed to teach participants tools for finding peace and balance through breath work and visualization.
*All offerings are not available at each Levine Cancer Institute facility site. Please visit our cancer events page for more information.