Getting well and staying well depends on taking care of the body and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. With that goal in mind, Levine Cancer Institute has collaborated with Carolinas HealthCare System Sports Medicine and the Dowd YMCA to develop Carolinas Cancer Wellness Program (CCWP), a program funded by the 24 Hours of Booty organization.
- CCWP is a free 12-week cancer wellness program designed to assist in managing the physical side effects of cancer treatment for survivors during treatment or during recovery phases. Participants receive an individualized exercise program consisting of cardiovascular, strength training and flexibility exercises to increase physical stamina. Each participant works with a registered nurse and a trained exercise physiologist during their individualized program. There is no cost for patients to take part in the program thanks to the generous support of 24 Hours of Booty.
Program goals include:
- Keep or improve physical abilities
- Increase independence for normal activities
- Improve quality of life
- Decrease risk of osteoporosis and heart disease
- Initial assessment by registered nurse
- Exercise assessment by exercise physiologist
- Exercise prescription
- Access to registered dietitian
- Weekly health review with a registered nurse
- Cardio exercise offered three times per week
- Strength exercise classes offered twice per week
- Restorative yoga or tai chi class each week
- Follow-up with your physician
To register or learn more about the cancer wellness program, call 704-716-6150.
Carolinas Cancer Wellness Program is currently offered at the following locations:
- Dowd YMCA at 400 E. Morehead St. in Charlotte, NC 28202
- Harris Family YMCA at 5900 Quail Hollow Road, Charlotte, NC 28210 (fall and spring 12-week program)
- Morrison YMCA at Corporate Wellness Center at 15830 John J. Delaney Drive, Suite 150, Charlotte, NC 28277
- West Cabarrus YMCA at 5325 Langford Ave., Concord, NC 28027
To get started, please ask your physician to complete the medical clearance form (PDF) and fax to 704-512-3825.
Other Wellness Offerings
- Weight Management Program - Levine Cancer Institute’s “Weight Management Program” combines education, coaching and accountability into a comprehensive, common-sense approach to weight management.
- Quit Smart Smoking Cessation - This free three-session tobacco cessation program uses techniques like brand switching and nicotine replacement therapy to improve success and help keep you comfortably smoke free.
- Fitness Classes – Check our monthly calendar events for a variety of cardio and strength classes designed with a cancer survivor’s needs in mind.
*All offerings are not available at each Levine Cancer Institute facility site. Please visit our cancer events page for more information.