Please use the links above to learn more about the structure of our services and call system.
The CMC Internal Medicine Residency Program at Carolinas Medical Center has a rich history dating back to 1968. Our program serves Charlotte and Mecklenburg County as well as the surrounding referring counties, often locally termed the "Metrolina Region." Our referral base is approximately 1.5 million - 2 million people and includes western North Carolina and upstate South Carolina, as Charlotte is only eight miles north of the South Carolina border.
Basic facts: CMC Internal Medicine Residency Program
- Inpatient training is done exclusively at Carolinas Medical Center's (CMC) 874-bed main facility.
- We are the flagship hospital for Carolinas HealthCare System, the second largest not-for-profit healthcare system in the United States, which owns, leases, or manages over 40 hospitals in North and South Carolina as well as dozens of physician practices.
- With 234 beds, Levine Children's Hospital provides more than 30 specialized pediatric services and is the largest children's hospital between Atlanta and Washington, D.C.
- Our hospital features a state-of-the-art, 30-bed Medical Intensive Care Unit training facility which opened in December 2008.
- CMC is a Level I trauma center, with more than 115,000 ED visits last year.
- CMC serves as a major clinical branch campus for students from the University of North Carolina School of Medicine.
- CMC offers outstanding ancillary services and the highest levels of patient safety and quality which resulted in our recent designation as a “Magnet Organization.”
- Ambulatory training (both general internal medicine and subspecialty clinics) is located at CMC Myers Park, located just two blocks from CMC.
- Over 30,000 patient care visits take place at CMC Myers Park each year.
- We utilize a fully-integrated electronic medical record, including computerized physician order entry and voice recognition technology for daily note writing.
- All residents are provided a mobile tablet device that seamlessly connects with the electronic medical record for improved efficiency with rounding and charting.
Basic Facts: Our Faculty
- The Department of Medicine is truly a group of devoted clinician-educators, with a full-time faculty of over 50 and a private part-time faculty of over 75.
- We strongly promote one-on-one education.
- House Staff interact with our faculty daily both on wards and in clinics.
- Many of the full-time faculty have private practice experience which allows for the information passed to the housestaff to be both evidence-based and practical.
The CMC Internal Medicine Residency Program is strongly committed to a providing a comprehensive learning experience for our residents in a highly supportive atmosphere. Our faculty are devoted to resident teaching, mentorship, and patient care. We also promote a healthy balance between professional and personal life. We believe that a happy work-life goes hand in hand with a happy and fulfilling home-life.