Daily Structure Call Schedule FAQs About Inpatient Months ICUs and ED Consults and Electives
Please use the links above to learn more about the structure of our services and call system.
The CMC Internal Medicine Residency Program at Carolinas Medical Center has a rich history dating back to 1968. Our program serves Charlotte and Mecklenburg County as well as the surrounding referring counties, often locally termed the "Metrolina Region." Our referral base is approximately 1.5 million - 2 million people and includes western North Carolina and upstate South Carolina, as Charlotte is only eight miles north of the South Carolina border.
Basic facts: CMC Internal Medicine Residency Program
- Inpatient training is done exclusively at Carolinas Medical Center's (CMC) 874-bed main facility.
- Carolinas Medical Center is the flagship hospital of Carolinas HealthCare System, the second largest not-for-profit healthcare system in the United States.
- Our hospital features a state-of-the-art, 30-bed Medical Intensive Care Unit training facility which opened in December 2008.
- CMC is a Level I trauma center, with more than 120,000 ED visits last year.
- CMC offers outstanding ancillary services and the highest levels of patient safety and quality which resulted in our recent designation as a “Magnet Organization.”
- We utilize a fully-integrated electronic medical record, including computerized physician order entry and voice recognition technology for daily note writing.
- Ambulatory training (both general internal medicine and subspecialty clinics) is located at CMC Myers Park, located just two blocks from CMC.
- Over 30,000 patient care visits take place at CMC Myers Park each year.
- Residents also have opportunities to rotate through ambulatory electives in various community practices as well as at the brand-new Charlotte VA Health Care Center.
UNC Medical School-Charlotte Branch Campus
- CMC serves as the largest clinical branch campus for students from the University of North Carolina School of Medicine.
- UNC medical students may apply to be a part of the “Charlotte cohort” in which they will spend their entire third and fourth years of clinical training at CMC.
- We also host fourth year students from medical schools across the country for various electives and acting internship rotations.
The CMC Internal Medicine Residency Program is strongly committed to a providing a comprehensive learning experience for our residents in a highly supportive atmosphere. Our faculty are devoted to resident teaching, mentorship, and patient care. We also promote a healthy balance between professional and personal life. We believe that a happy work-life goes hand in hand with a happy and fulfilling home-life.