As with any type of cancer, there is no known way to completely prevent the disease. However, taking certain steps will help lower your chance of developing it:
- Stop using tobacco products – 85 percent of head and neck cancers are linked to them. It’s never too late to quit.
- Avoid smoking marijuana.
- Skip the alcohol. Frequent and heavy consumption of alcohol raises your risk.
- Use lip balm with built-in sunscreen.
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) increases the risk of head and neck cancers. Personal protection during sexual activity and limiting the number of sexual partners reduces the odds of HPV infection.
- Make sure your dentures fit properly. Any gaps can trap tobacco and alcohol – and their cancer-causing agents. Clean them every night, and have them checked by a dentist regularly.