Welcome to the General Surgery Residency Program
Carolinas HealthCare System, one of the nation's leading and most innovative healthcare organizations, is dedicated to educating future physicians in the basic science, clinical knowledge, cognitive and technical skills, and judgment required of surgeons and surgical leaders. A forward-thinking commitment to the transformation of healthcare distinguishes Carolinas HealthCare System from other similar-sized, non-university hospitals.
The General Surgery Residency Program at Carolinas Medical Center, part of Carolinas HealthCare System, is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). The program provides residents with a balance of clinical training, formal education and research opportunities in all areas of general surgery.
- Carolinas Medical Center is the largest research hospital in the region and one of five teaching hospitals in North Carolina.
- Education consists of intense clinical and research experience, guided by a dedicated faculty from the following divisions:
- Colorectal Surgery
- Hepatopancreatobiliary Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Surgical Oncology
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma, Acute Care Surgery and Surgical Critical Care
- Vascular Surgery
- Greater than 2:1 faculty-to-resident ratio.
- The Simulation Center (dually accredited by the Society of Simulation in Healthcare and the American College of Surgeons) provides state-of-the-art technical training, team-scenario training and extensive operative training.
- Residents experience a broad range of surgical contexts, develop exceptional technical and critical skills and cultivate professionalism throughout their tenure, graduating for future careers in surgical practice, surgical subspecialty fellowships and academic pursuits.
Learn more about Surgical Services at Carolinas HealthCare System.