Carolinas Medical Center's F.H. "Sammy" Ross, Jr. Center-named in tribute to the late F.H. "Sammy" Ross, Jr.-provides specialized trauma care for children and adults.
This designated Level One trauma center provides the highest level of trauma care for accidents that occur in Mecklenburg and the 14 surrounding counties in the Carolinas. Some 1,500 major trauma victims receive care following vehicle crashes, industrial accidents or falls. Emergency room specialists treat thousands of less threatening injuries.
The F.H. "Sammy" Ross, Jr. Center maintains the full accreditation of the American College of Surgeons and is regarded as one of the nation's elite trauma care hospitals.
Trauma programs and services realize enormous benefit from access to a full array of support components, including: emergency transport (mobile intensive care ambulances, medical helicopters and fix-wing crafts); up-to-date emergency and critical care units; and, Carolinas Rehabilitation.
Physical facilities include a specialized Emergency Department with five resuscitation-equipped areas; an operating room designated for trauma; and a trauma intensive care unit with 10 beds.
CMC's Center for Pre-hospital Medicine further broadens the scope of the F.H. "Sammy" Ross, Jr. Center, enabling its faculty to offer their expertise toward the development of emergency medical response teams throughout the region.
F.H. "Sammy" Ross, Jr. Center provides:
- Trauma surgeons and emergency medicine physicians in-hospital 24 hours a day
- Designated trauma resuscitation suites in the Emergency Department
- Coordinated response from a multidisciplinary trauma team
- Prompt access to surgical specialists including neurosurgeons, orthopedic surgeons and plastic surgeons
- CT scanning, angiography and MRI capabilities 24 hours a day
- Trauma surgery suite equipped and staffed 24 hours a day
- Anesthesiologist in-hospital 24 hours a day
- Inpatient trauma intensive care unit designed exclusively for the severely injured
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) for the special needs of severely injured children
- Trauma rehabilitation services providing early intervention to traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury patients
- In-depth trauma research, education and injury prevention programs
- MedCenter Air helicopter and fixed wing aeromedical program
Additional trauma care services:
- Trauma Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Carolinas Rehabilitation
- Emergency Medicine
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Cardiovascular Surgery