Medical Education

The following are frequently asked questions about the Occupational Therapy (OT) Program:

Do candidates for the OT program have to be an OTA?
Yes, the Cabarrus College OT program is designed specifically for experienced OTA's to progress to entry-level master's degree OT's.

Can I apply to the OT program while I am finishing up an OTA curriculum?
Applicants for the OT program must have a minimum of a full year's professional experience as an OTA before an application will be considered. This experience may be full time or part-time with a minimum of 20 hours per week.

How long will the program take?
The OT program will have two tracks:

  1. The MOT track for OTA's already with a bachelor's degree will take 2 years of full time academic coursework and Level II Fieldwork;
  2. The BSIHS/MOT track for OTA's with an associate degree as their highest educational level, will take 3 years for full time academic coursework and Level II Fieldwork (4 years if attending part-time in the first two semesters).

Can the courses be taken part-time?

  • The MOT track must be taken full time because of its integrated sequence of academic courses.
  • In the BSIHS/MOT track, students may enroll part-time for the first 2 semesters; however, each subsequent semester must be full-time.

Should students continue to work as an OTA while enrolled in the program?
The OT curriculum is designed to build on the professional experiences of the OTA, and therefore students are encouraged to work at least part-time to gain maximum benefit from the program.

For the hybrid courses, when will the weekend on-campus classes be scheduled?
Each hybrid course will have a 3 hour on-campus class every third weekend. Classes will be scheduled Saturdays and Sundays.

How long are Level II Fieldworks?
There are two Level II Fieldworks; each is scheduled as a full-time in-depth clinical experience for 12 weeks. Additional information regarding all fieldwork can be found in the College Catalog Course Description section.

When will applications for the OT program be accepted?
Entry into the Occupational Therapy program is offered for fall only. Application timelines follow the College guidelines for all fall admissions.

Is there a time limitation for my pre-requisite courses and/or degrees?
The OT program emphasizes building on occupational therapy assistant experiences, and therefore, pre-requisite courses and/or degrees do not have to be completed within a specific timeframe as long as the applicant has been employed in the field.

Will I need to take a Graduate Record Examination (GRE)?
Applicants for the Cabarrus College OT program are not required to submit GRE scores.

What is acceptable evidence of employment for the application?
Applicants can provide a letter from their employer or supervisor on company letterhead to verify employment for at least one year within the last 5 years.

What is meant by state authorization to offer distance education?
Higher education institutions must obtain state authorization to offer distance education programs and/or courses in states other than their own.

How can I find out if Cabarrus College has state authorization in my state?
A list of current states in which Cabarrus College is authorized to offer distance education programs and/or courses is available in Distance Education. If your state is not listed, please contact the Admissions Office for additional information on its status.

Can I receive Financial Aid while enrolled?
Cabarrus College is approved from the Department of Education to offer financial aid to students enrolled in the Master of Occupational Therapy program. Students who have completed current FAFSA forms and provided all requested documents will be awarded financial aid only after they have been accepted into the program, paid the tuition deposit and the registrar has evaluated transfer credits.

Students should complete a FAFSA each year they wish to apply for financial aid as instructed at:

For Financial Aid purposes, will I be considered an undergraduate or graduate student?

Students entering directly into the MOT track will enroll in the program as graduate students.

Students enrolling in the BSIHS/MOT track will be considered undergraduate students until earning the Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Health Studies degree. At that time, they will transition into graduate studies to complete the MOT degree.


  • American Occupational Therapy Association:
  • American Occupational Therapy Association - Student Pages: - Students
  • National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy:
  • North Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy (NCBOT):
  • North Carolina Occupational Therapy Association (NCOTA):