Watch Scott Wise's story of how brain surgery for seizures has dramatically improved his quality of life.
Carolinas HealthCare System Neurosciences Institute provides comprehensive adult and pediatric epilepsy care. Epilepsy is found in one percent of our population, which is three million people in the United States and between 10,000 and 20,000 patients in the Charlotte region.
Approximately 30 percent (between 3,000 and 6,000) of these patients do not have adequate control of their conditions by use of medications alone.
All of these patients are eligible for some kind of advanced epilepsy service and management and about half of these patients would be candidates for surgical correction of their epilepsy after proper evaluation. The epilepsy specialists at the CHS Neuroscience Institute work independently and with other physicians to evaluate patients and provide advanced epilepsy services, both surgical and non-surgical.
Distinctions of our program:
- We provide level IV and level III specialized epilepsy centers in accordance with the guidelines of the National Association of Epilepsy Centers
- We provide a level III specialized pediatric epilepsy center, in accordance with the guidelines of the National Association of Epilepsy Centers
- We received The Joint Commission Disease-specific Care Certification in Inpatient Epilepsy
Non-Surgical Treatment Options:
- Vagal nerve stimulator implants
- Advanced diagnostic capabilities (WADA and brain mapping)
- Dedicated ketogenic diet clinic
Surgical Treatments Available:
- Focal cortical excision
- Vagal nerve stimulator implantation
- Multilobar resection
- Multiple subpial transection
- Corpus callostomy