Carolinas HealthCare System

Our Panel of Experts Includes:

Kevin Stepp, MD
Endometriosis Surgeon
Women's Center for Pelvic Health
Elizabeth Morgan, MD
Pelvic Pain Specialist
Women's Center for Pelvic Health
Paul Marshburn, MD
Infertility Specialist
Carolinas HealthCare System Reproductive Medicine and Infertility
Aviva Stein, MD
Obstetrician and Gynecologist
Charlotte OB/GYN

Endometriosis is a chronic and often painful reproductive disease that can go undiagnosed and untreated. As many as 1 in 10 women in the US suffers from the disease, which can be linked to infertility.

What is Endometriosis?

Endometriosis develops when tissue of the uterine lining - which is usually shed during your period - implants in areas outside of the uterus (for example, on the ovaries, fallopian tubes or bladder). Eventually it accumulates and can cause inflammation, scarring, and other painful issues.


Every woman’s experience with endometriosis is unique. Pain can range from mild to extreme, and even debilitating. And it tends to get worse over time.

The most common symptoms include:

  • Severe cramps during menstruation
  • Heavy or irregular menstrual bleeding
  • Chronic discomfort in pelvic area and low back
  • Pain during and after sexual activity
  • Pain with bladder or bowl function
  • Diarrhea, constipation, nausea and/or bloating, especially during your period
  • Infertility or miscarriage

Treatment at Carolinas HealthCare System

At Carolinas HealthCare System, we offer compassionate, advanced care from leading endometriosis and reproductive health experts. When you connect with us, our OB/GYN doctors are able to diagnose your condition, provide treatment options and a referral to one of our endometriosis or fertility specialists if needed.

If getting pregnant is a concern, our fertility specialists work closely with your OB/GYN doctor and endometriosis specialists to develop and co-manage your individual treatment plan to provide the best possible outcomes for improving your health and your chances of getting pregnant.

If you think you may have endometriosis, your OB/GYN physician can help diagnose and co-manage your condition with our endometriosis specialists and reproductive medicine experts. If you do not have an OB/GYN physician and would like help finding one, call 704-355-7500.