Welcome to the Urology and Kidney Center at Carolinas HealthCare System University, located in Charlotte, NC, where our aim is to provide compassionate, expert care to each and every patient we treat. Whether you’re experiencing bladder dysfunction, suffering from a kidney stone or some type of urologic cancer, our experienced team of urologists utilizes the latest technologies and medical advancements to provide the best treatment options for all your urologic and kidney care needs.
Kidney Stone Treatment
One of the most common and painful urinary tract disorders, kidney stones are created when microscopic particles in the urine become hardened mineral deposits within the kidney. Typically, kidney stones develop when waste materials in the urine do not dissolve completely.
Treatment options include:
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy (ESWL): Shock waves are generated that penetrate the body and impact the stone.
- Ureteroscopy: These procedures are best used for kidney stones located in the mid to distal ureter. A scope is used to visualize and grab or destroy the stone.
- Percuraneous Nephrolithotomy (PNL): Large stones are often better treated with PNL, a surgical procedure co-managed by radiologists and urologists.
- Ureteral Stent: A stent may be placed to bypass a stone, relieve an obstruction or to keep the ureter from swelling shut after an ureteroscopic procedure.
- Open Surgery: Open surgery is sometimes needed in cases that do not respond to one of the other treatment options or when dealing with a very large stone.
Neurology and Urologic Disorders
Some neurological disorders, such as multiple sclerosis (MS) or Parkinson's disease can affect bladder function, leading to an inability to urinate, urinary incontinence, recurrent urinary tract infections, urinary stones and even kidney failure. Because managing the bladder aggressively and appropriately is critical in these conditions, we provide advanced bladder management approaches through our urodynamics laboratory and rehabilitation services.
Our medical team provides expertise in urinary incontinence and bladder dysfunction through:
- Bladder training
- Urodynamic studies
The American Cancer Society predicts that more than 300,000 Americans will be diagnosed with cancer of the genitourinary system each year. Our patients have access to groundbreaking treatment options from leading urologic cancer specialists for the following:
- Bladder cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Testicular cancer
As part of Carolinas HealthCare System, Carolinas HealthCare System University is partnered with Levine Cancer Institute. Levine Cancer Institute is changing the course of cancer care by removing the barriers that separate patients from access to world-class research and breakthrough treatments.
Building upon a strong network of affiliated hospitals and providers in communities across the Carolinas, we’re able to deliver innovative protocols where they are needed most – no matter who you are, no matter where you are.
To help you make the right decision for your situation, our physicians will partner with you, offering guidance and support as you explore your treatment options.
View more information about cancer types at Levine Cancer Institute