Welcome to the Urology and Kidney Center at Carolinas Medical Center-University, located in Charlotte, NC, where our aim is to provide compassionate, expert care to each and every patient we treat. Whether you’re experiencing bladder dysfunction, suffering from a kidney stone or some type of urologic cancer, our experienced team of urologists utilizes the latest technologies and medical advancements to provide the best treatment options for all your urologic and kidney care needs.
On this page:
Kidney Stone Treatment
One of the most common and painful urinary tract disorders, kidney stones are created when microscopic particles in the urine become hardened mineral deposits within the kidney. Typically, kidney stones develop when waste materials in the urine do not dissolve completely.
Treatment options include:
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy (ESWL): Shock waves are generated that penetrate the body and impact the stone.
- Ureteroscopy: These procedures are best used for kidney stones located in the mid to distal ureter. A scope is used to visualize and grab or destroy the stone.
- Percuraneous Nephrolithotomy (PNL): Large stones are often better treated with PNL, a surgical procedure co-managed by radiologists and urologists.
- Ureteral Stent: A stent may be placed to bypass a stone, relieve an obstruction or to keep the ureter from swelling shut after an ureteroscopic procedure.
- Open Surgery: Open surgery is sometimes needed in cases that do not respond to one of the other treatment options or when dealing with a very large stone.
Neurology and Urologic Disorders
Some neurological disorders, such as multiple sclerosis (MS) or Parkinson's disease can affect bladder function, leading to an inability to urinate, urinary incontinence, recurrent urinary tract infections, urinary stones and even kidney failure. Because managing the bladder aggressively and appropriately is critical in these conditions, we provide advanced bladder management approaches through our urodynamics laboratory and rehabilitation services.
Our medical team provides expertise in urinary incontinence and bladder dysfunction through:
- Bladder training
- Urodynamic studies
The American Cancer Society predicts that more than 300,000 Americans will be diagnosed with cancer of the genitourinary system each year. Our patients have access to groundbreaking treatment options from leading urologic cancer specialists for the following:
- Bladder cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Testicular cancer
As part of Carolinas HealthCare System, CMC-University is partnered with Levine Cancer Institute. Levine Cancer Institute is changing the course of cancer care by removing the barriers that separate patients from access to world-class research and breakthrough treatments.
Building upon a strong network of affiliated hospitals and providers in communities across the Carolinas, we’re able to deliver innovative protocols where they are needed most – no matter who you are, no matter where you are.
To help you make the right decision for your situation, our physicians will partner with you, offering guidance and support as you explore your treatment options.
View more information about cancer types at Levine Cancer Institute
Our Urology and Kidney Center provides seamless, coordinated care for those patients admitted to the hospital. Our physician specialists and hospital services include:
- Full-time hospitalist coverage. Hospitalists are physicians who specialize in the care of hospitalized patients
- Access to a variety of medical sub-specialists including neurology, infectious disease and nephrology
- Access to intensivists (critical care doctors), should you require a stay in our Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
- Inpatient dialysis
- Advanced diagnostics – computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Rehabilitation services
- Nutrition services
- Wound and ostomy – treating patients with bowel or bladder diversion
Minimally Invasive Techniques
Striving to stay at the forefront of medical innovation, our Urology and Kidney Center embraces the latest technology to provide patients with the very best treatments available. Such advancements allow for less-invasive procedures, which means our patients often experience shorter recovery times, minimal blood loss and less scarring.
One of our most exciting and innovative tools is our robotic surgery capabilities, which assists surgeons in the operating room by improving their precision and manipulation in tight surgical spaces.
Our rehabilitation services, provided by Carolinas Rehabilitation, offer convenient outpatient programs in physical, occupational and speech therapies throughout Mecklenburg and surrounding counties. Designed to accelerate each patient's recovery efforts, our outpatient facilities are staffed by accredited, specialized therapists who are skilled at providing the care, support and confidence vital to successful rehabilitation.
|University Medical Park
101 E. W.T. Harris Blvd.
Charlotte, NC 28262
Map | Directions
|CMC-Mountain Island Lake Medical Plaza
9908 Couloak Drive
Charlotte, NC 28216
Map | Directions
Our team of physical therapists are specialized in pelvic rehabilitation, offering conservative treatment options for multiple conditions affecting the pelvic area. We offer individualized interventions to correct skeletal alignment and improve muscle flexibility and function, as well as education on self-management techniques.
Our staff is able to treat a variety of conditions, including:
- Coccyx pain
- Dysfunctional voiding (urination)
- Fecal incontinence
- Pelvic floor dysfunction
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Pelvic pain
- Peri-/Post-Partum musculoskeletal pain
- Post-surgical rehabilitation
- Urinary incontinence
- Vulvar pain disorders
Common interventions provided during pelvic therapy include:
- Manual therapy
- Neuromuscular re-education
- Patient education
- Pelvic floor strengthening
- Postural correction
- Relaxation techniques
- Therapeutic exercise
Our team of registered dietitians (RDs) are here to assist you with all your nutritional support needs. Whether you’re looking to make changes in your diet to better manage diabetes or you need help developing meal strategies to lessen the effects of kidney stones, our RDs will help you better understand your eating habits to achieve your goals.
View more information on our nutrition services at CMC-University