At CMC-University, we're focused on urological and kidney care. Our concentration in these areas enables our physicians to remain at the forefront of rapidly changing technologies and medical advancements, providing you with better care.
We offer the latest technology, including the da Vinci Surgical Robot. This state-of-the-art surgical robot enables your physician to remove your prostate, kidney or other organ with a shorter recovery time, less scaring and minimal blood loss. We also offer the most modern high definition imaging equipment available.
Whether your needs are outpatient or inpatient, medical or surgical, our Urology and Kidney Center is able to care for you. Should your situation require a stay in the hospital, we can care for all of your needs, including inpatient dialysis, advanced diagnostics and access to additional sub-specialists and various clinical services.
Kidney Stone Treatment
Over time kidney stones, originating as microscopic particles, can become hardened mineral deposits within the kidney. Typically, kidney stones develop when waste materials in the urine do not dissolve completely. North Carolina is in the heart of the "stone belt," where kidney stone incidence is much higher than other parts of the country.
Kidney stones can be treated through:
- Extracorporeal Shockwave Lithotripsy (ESWL): Shock waves are generated that penetrate the body and impact the stone.
- Ureteroscopy: These procedures are best used for kidney stones located in the mid to distal ureter. A scope is used to visualize and grab or destroy the stone.
- Percuraneous Nephrolithotomy (PNL): Large stones are often better treated with PNL, a surgical procedure co-managed by radiologists and urologists.
- Use of a ureteral stent: Any of these procedures may be performed with placement of a stent either prior to, during or after the procedure. A stent may be placed to bypass a stone, relieve obstruction or to keep the ureter from swelling shut after an ureteroscopic procedure.
- Open surgery: With the advent of ESWL, PNL and ureteroscopic procedures, open surgery is rarely indicated. However, it is sometimes used in cases with very large stone burden or cases that do not respond to one of the other treatments.
Some neurological disorders, such as multiple sclerosis (MS) or Parkinson's disease or other conditions can affect bladder function, leading to an inability to urinate, urinary incontinence, recurrent urinary tract infections, urinary stones and even kidney failure. Because managing the bladder aggressively and appropriately is critical in these conditions, we provide advanced bladder management approaches through our urodynamics laboratory and rehabilitation services.
Our medical team provides expertise in urinary incontinence, bladder dysfunction and urodynamics through:
- Urodynamic studies
- Bladder training
The American Cancer Society predicts that more than 300,000 Americans will be diagnosed with cancer of the genitourinary system each year. We provide cancer treatment for the following urological cancers:
- Bladder cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Kidney cancer
Cancer treatment with these types of cancers can be treated both medically and surgically and may involve a variety of physician specialists. Your physician can provide you with appropriate options and help you make the best decision for your circumstances.
Because a cancer diagnosis often times brings significant uncertainty, we offer second opinions to help you navigate the best course of treatment for your condition(s).
Should your situation require you to be admitted to the hospital, our Urology and Kidney Center can care for you. Whether your need is medical or surgical, we have the physician specialists and hospital services available, including:
- Full-time hospitalist coverage; hospitalists are physicians specifically trained in caring for hospitalized patients
- Access to a variety of medical sub-specialists, including neurology, infectious disease and nephrology
- Access to intensivists (critical care doctors) should you require a stay in our Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
- Inpatient dialysis
- Advanced diagnostics (CT, MRI, etc.)
- Rehabilitation services
- Nutrition services
- Wound/ostomy care
*Recognized by JD Power and Associates for "Outstanding Patient Experience"
Technology advances have enabled a large number of surgical and other procedures to be performed without large incisions. The techniques offer a variety of benefits to patients, including shorter recovery times, minimal blood loss and less scarring. Our Urology and Kidney Center is committed to providing you access to state-of-the-art equipment
Our surgeons utilize a variety of techniques to remove or repair organs and other tissue, which minimize impacts on the body such as scarring, blood loss, etc. The presence of the da Vinci® Surgical Robot is one such technique, whereby small instruments are able to access areas inside the body to perform major surgery with shorter recovery. Our Urology and Kidney Center is the first hospital in North Mecklenburg to offer this technology.
Common interventional radiology procedures for urological and kidney issues are:
- Nephrostomy placement for removal of kidney stones: placing a catheter directly into the kidney to drain urine in situations where normal flow of urine is obstructed
- Dialysis access and related intervention: placement of tunneled hemodialysis catheters, general surgery and revision/thrombolysis of poorly functioning surgically placed AV fistulas and grafts
Our rehabilitation services provided by Carolinas Rehabilitation offer convenient outpatient programs in physical, occupational and speech therapies throughout Mecklenburg and surrounding counties. Designed to accelerate each patient's recovery efforts, our outpatient facilities are staffed by accredited, specialized therapists who are skilled at providing the care, support and confidence vital to successful rehabilitation.
|University Medical Park
101 E. W.T. Harris Blvd.
7825 Ballantyne Commons Parkway
|CMC-Matthews Medical Plaza
1401 Matthews Township Parkway
|CMC-Mountain Island Lake Medical Plaza
9908 Couloak Drive
Some of our physical therapists are specialized in pelvic rehabilitation, offering conservative treatment options for multiple conditions affecting the pelvic area. We offer individualized interventions to correct skeletal alignment, improve muscle flexibility and function and educate on self management of health care.
Our staff is able to treat a variety of diagnoses including:
- Pelvic pain
- Vulvar pain disorders
- Urinary incontinence
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Pudendal neuralgia
- Peri-/Post-Partum musculoskeletal pain
- Pelvic floor dysfunction
- Dysfunctional voiding
- Post-surgical rehabilitation
- Coccyx pain
- Fecal incontinence
Common interventions provided during pelvic therapy include:
- Postural correction
- Manual therapy
- Neuromuscular re-education
- Therapeutic exercise
- Patient education
- Relaxation techniques
- Pelvic floor strengthening
Our team of registered dietitians (RDs) can assist you with all your nutritional support needs. Whether referred by a physician or self-referred, our RDs can help you better manage your diabetes or craft meal plans and better understand your eating habits to achieve your goals. In some cases, kidney stone disease can be better-managed by changes in your diet. Our RDs are well-skilled in helping you understand the impact of diet on your kidney stones and developing meal strategies to lessen the effects of kidney stones.
Our diabetic program is certified by the American Diabetic Association (ADA), and we offer certified diabetic educators. For general nutritional support and weight management, our Healthy Directions program offers the latest scientifically sound information available, along with a team of experts to give you the tools you need to maintain a healthy lifestyle and lose weight. When you join the Healthy Directions program at CMC-University, you will receive a one-on-one health assessment with an RD. The program includes access to a six-week referral program at the University City YMCA, weekly support group, educational materials and a customized meal plan just for you.