Carolinas HealthCare System Union is committed to the care of people - from birth to death - in a manner that ensures their dignity, privacy and respect.
As a patient, you have a right to:
- Receive accurate information about your health status, course of treatment, prospects for recovery, and outcomes of care in terms you can understand.
- Be informed not only about the physician's recommendations, but also about alternative treatment that might preserve your life, prevent disease, and relieve suffering.
- Refuse treatment.
- Choose others to gather information and make decisions for you.
- Confidential treatment of all communications and records pertaining to your care and stay in the hospital.
- Receive care in a safe and secure environment, free from all forms of verbal or physical abuse or harassment.
- Receive reasonable responses to requests made for appropriate and medically indicated care and services.
- Be admitted and placed in a room based only on patient needs and availability of services.
- Be transferred only upon request, except when the necessary care cannot be given at Carolinas HealthCare System Union. If transferred, you will receive stabilizing emergency treatment and a receiving physician will be contacted to accept the transfer. Records will be prepared to accompany you.
- Be accompanied to transportation and assisted into a vehicle after discharge.
- Receive respect regarding your values and beliefs.
- Receive spiritual support upon request.
- Have access to the Ethics Committee.
- Voice your concerns or complaints.
- Examine and receive an explanation of your hospital bill to ensure that you will be billed only for the services and care provided.
- Participate in the development and implementation of your plan of care.
- Formulate an Advance Directive and have the hospital staff and practitioners comply with the directives.
- Have a family member or representative of choice and a personal physician notified promptly of admission to this hospital.
- Have your personal privacy respected.
- Access information contained in your clinical records within a reasonable time frame, except in certain circumstances specified by law.
- Be free from restraints of any form that are not medically necessary.
- Appropriate assessment and management of your pain, information about pain and pain relief measures, and to participate in pain management decisions. You may request or reject the use of any or all modalities to relieve pain.
- A concerned staff committed to pain prevention and management.
- Health professionals who respond quickly to your reports of pain.
- Have your reports of pain believed.
- State-of-the-art pain management.
- Dedicated pain relief specialists.
- File a grievance. If you want to file a grievance with this hospital, you may do so by writing the State Agency Complaint Department, 2711 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699, or by calling 919-733-7461.
As a patient, it is your responsibility to:
- Provide complete and accurate information about your medical history.
- Follow the treatment plan recommended by your physician. This may include following reasonable instructions of nurses and other hospital staff as they implement the physician's plan of care and as they enforce applicable Medical Center rules and regulations.
- Make it known whether you clearly understand a contemplated course of action and what is expected of you.
- Be considerate of the rights of other patients and hospital personnel and to follow hospital rules and regulations that apply to your care and conduct while a patient.
- Accept the consequences of the decisions you make regarding medical care, to refuse a course of treatment, and to not follow your physician's instructions.
- Provide the hospital with accurate and timely information concerning your sources of payment and your ability to meet financial obligations.
You are encouraged to ask questions about any of these rights that you do not understand. If you would like to express concerns regarding the quality of care you receive at Carolinas HealthCare System Union, please call our Patient Assistance Hotline at 980-993-4020. You will receive a personal response.