Neck and back injuries can happen suddenly due to wear and tear from everyday movement and activity. There are different parts of the spine that can produce back pain. Symptoms include:
- Irritation to the large nerve roots that run down the legs and arms
- Irritation to small nerves inside the spine
- Strains to the large back muscles
- Injury to the disc, bones, joints or ligaments in the spine
Treatments for neck and back problems range from physical therapy to medications to minimally invasive radiologic procedures. When the spine is injured and its function impaired, the consequences can be painful and even disabling. Fortunately, CMC Orthopaedic Surgery works with patients and their families to improve the quality of life for patients with spinal disorders through innovative approaches to diagnosis, treatment, research, and education.
CMC Orthopaedic Surgery’s spine surgeons have extensive experience in the diagnosis and treatment of all adult and pediatric spinal disorders, including management of cervical, thoracic and lumbar disk herniations, spinal cord compression, spine instability, trauma, tumors, infections and scoliosis.
Commonly treated neck and back conditions:
- Compression fracture of the spine
- Degenerative disc disease
- Facet joint disorder
- Herniated disc
- Cervical radiculopathy ("pinched nerve")
- Cervical spinal stenosis