The history of CMC-NorthEast dates back to the mid 1930s, when Charles A. Cannon and his associate George A. Batte, Jr., led an effort to pursue more accessible and full-service healthcare for the wave of workers that Cannon Mills brought to Cabarrus County. The small, private "sick house" on Union Street was not able to accommodate the growing population, so Mr. Cannon and Mr. Batte sought the help of state legislators. In 1935, the General Assembly of North Carolina enacted legislation enabling Cabarrus County to establish a public hospital.
Growing with the Community
Cabarrus County Hospital opened in 1937 with 46 beds and 10 bassinets. Over the past 70 years, Cabarrus County Hospital has emerged from a small, county-owned facility into a regional medical center, focusing on patient care, education, and research. Each decade has brought major facility expansion and renovation projects to accommodate a growing market, expanded service lines, and new programs. In 1991, the hospital was reorganized as a non-profit organization. In 1997, Cabarrus Memorial Hospital began doing business as NorthEast Medical Center to more accurately reflect its expanded position in the region and its commitment to all aspects of care...clinical, education, research. In 2007, NorthEast Medical Center merged with the Charlotte-based Carolinas Healthcare System, to become CMC-NorthEast.
Today, CMC-NorthEast is comprised of an extensive inpatient and outpatient network that services the residents of multiple counties through 457 acute care beds, a comprehensive mix of outpatient services and 30 clinics. Advance Home Care and Hospice and Palliative Care of Cabarrus County are also affiliated with the network. Approximately 300 physicians are members of the active medical staff, and the medical center employs greater than 4,200 individuals.