Mercy School of Nursing holds admission information sessions periodically throughout the year. For a complete list of admission requirements, download the 2013-14 Course Catalog (PDF). Upcoming information session dates are as follows:
- 2013: Sept. 27 and Nov. 29
- 2014: Jan. 31, March 28, May 30, July 25, Sept. 26 and Nov. 21
All sessions begin promptly at 2 p.m. Attendance is not required.
Students are admitted in the fall, spring and summer as space permits. Applications should be submitted well in advance of the desired date of admission. The completed application includes:
- The application form, including a non-refundable processing fee of $50.00.
- Official transcript from accredited high school and official transcripts from accredited college study. Applicants with a bachelor's degree are not required to submit a high school transcript unless requested by the school. The transcripts must show successful completion of courses in Algebra and Chemistry. Applicants with satisfactory results on the General Educational Development (GED) tests or an Adult High School Completion program will be considered, provided they have had acceptable courses in Algebra and Chemistry.
- Official report of the College Entrance Examination Board's Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) or the American College Testing Program (ACT). Applicants who have earned 30 college transferable quarter hours or 20 college transferable semester hours of math, science, and English are exempted from the SAT/ACT requirement. However, to make an application more competitive, submission of SAT/ACT scores is recommended.
- Official transcript showing completion of required pre-requisite courses. These courses include Anatomy & Physiology (eight semester hours) completed within the last seven years, Microbiology (three credit hours) if applying to the spring semester and English Composition if applying to the summer semester. Applications may be submitted while completion of these courses is pending, but courses must be completed prior to enrollment.
- Satisfactory performance on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS). This test is given at Mercy School of Nursing on a regular basis. To register to take the test, the applicant submits the registration form provided on the school website, with the $45 payment. The test may be retaken once. Information about this test is available at www.atitesting.com. The school uses TEAS version V.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores when applicable for applicants for whom English is a second language. Mercy School of Nursing may require TOEFL testing of any applicant when language proficiency is an issue, including applicants from countries where English is the official language, but not the primary language spoken. Information about this test is available at www.toeflgoanywhere.org.
- If attended another nursing program, a reference and interview. Applicants who have attended a nursing program previously must submit a reference from program administrator.
- Former employees of Carolinas HealthCare System must be eligible for rehire to be eligible to enroll at MSON.
- Applicants must present evidence of sound academic preparation, acceptable personal character, interest and motivation. The Admissions and Promotions Committee selects those applicants who are best qualified for nursing and who show the most potential for successful completion of the program.
- Students found to have an unacceptable background as determined through a criminal background may not begin any class.