Sanger Heart & Vascular Institute, part of Carolinas HealthCare System, has brought innovative and life-saving heart care to the Carolinas for more than 50 years. Paul Colavita, MD, president of Sanger Heart & Vascular Institute, explains how patient outcomes are the driving force behind offering the best care possible.
As a system made up of primary care offices, urgent care locations, hospitals, research institutes and more, we can share our collective knowledge so that everyone in the system has access to the resources to be the best at what they do. It’s the power of one system, made up of many parts, with the sole focus of providing the best care possible for every patient.
- The only inpatient oncological rehabilitation team in the Southeast
- Open-heart surgery program is ranked in the top 15 percent nationally by The Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- Levine Children’s Hospital has been ranked by U.S. News & World Report for four consecutive years
- Only neurosciences program in the nation to receive The Joint Commission Disease-Specific Care Certification in Parkinson’s disease, ALS and MS
- Largest regional provider of behavioral health and substance abuse services through physical facilities and virtual integration in physician offices and emergency departments
- Levine Cancer Institute Offers one of the country’s largest single institution cancer research databases, with more than 11,000 potential new cases annually.
- Sanger Heart & Vascular Institute houses the region’s only heart transplantation program
- Average door-to-balloon (DTB) time, or time from a patient’s arrival at the hospital until the time the artery blockage is cleared, is 42 minutes, compared to a national average of 59 minutes. This is 28 percent less than national average
- Performed the world’s first-in-human branched stent graft implantation designed for the branch vessel repair of thoracic aortic aneurysms
- Levine Children’s Hospital pediatric heart transplant program has best-in-class one to three-year survival rates
- Physicians at Levine Children’s Hospital are the only ones in the world to perform the Robicsek procedure to treat patients with pectus excavatum. Developed by Francis Robicsek, MD, PhD, a CHS physician, the technique is a rapid, secure method of sternal closure that uses mesh instead of a traditional steel rod.
- Doctors at Charlotte Fetal Care Center performed a first-of-its-kind operation that repaired the circulation of an in utero child and a successful microwave TRAP procedure
- The only MS Center in the Carolinas and one of only 60 nationally-recognized programs for comprehensive MS Care by the national MS Society’s Partners in MS Care program
- To meet the declining mental health services across the state, we built a brand new, 66-bed behavioral health hospital and outpatient treatment center in Davidson.
- Developing an integrated model including virtual care to align behavioral health support services with all aspects of acute and post-acute care throughout the System.
- Launched Carolinas Trauma Network, a comprehensive, clinically integrated care continuum that advances and spreads evidence-based best practices for the prevention and management of injury across the System
- Carolinas MedCenter Air offers comprehensive critical care transport services, including ground transport, helicopter and fixed wing transport, brining patients increased access to the highest level of care