The Hemby Pediatric Trauma Institute at Carolinas Medical Center is part of a certified Level 1 Trauma Center, the highest level of designation the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma offers. The Hemby Pediatric Trauma Institute has a team of pediatric and surgical specialists skilled in the proper management of injured children from the moment of injury. Hemby Pediatric Trauma services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Why Hemby Pediatric Trauma Institute?
- Trauma surgeons, emergency medicine, and critical care physicians in-hospital 24 hours a day
- Designated trauma resuscitation suites in the Emergency Department
- Coordinated response from a multidisciplinary trauma team
- Prompt access to surgical specialists including neurosurgeons, orthopedic surgeons and plastic surgeons
- CT scanning, angiography and MRI capabilities 24 hours a day
- Trauma surgery suite equipped and staffed 24 hours a day
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) for the special needs of severely injured children
- Trauma rehabilitation services providing early intervention to traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury patients
- Acute pediatric rehabilitation services within the Levine Children's Hospital's Pediatric Pavilion
- In-depth trauma research, education and injury prevention programs
- MedCenter Air helicopter and fixed wing aeromedical program
- Metrolina Trauma Advisory Committee (MTAC) responsible for regional trauma development and disaster preparedness