Medical Laboratory Science Program
In support of the mission of the College, the mission of the School of Clinical Laboratory Sciences Medical Laboratory Science program is to provide quality education to a diverse group of students enabling them to function as competent entry-level medical laboratory scientists and serve in leadership, educational, and technical roles within the profession
- The program’s master curriculum prepares graduates with the psychomotor skills, cognitive knowledge, and affective attitudes necessary to function as competent entry-level medical laboratory scientists.
- The program’s master curriculum is in compliance with National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) accreditation criteria.
- The program’s master curriculum prepares graduates with the cognitive knowledge necessary to successfully pass the American Society of Clinical Pathology Board of Certification exam.
Student Expected Outcomes (Entry-Level Competencies)
The Medical Laboratory Science program prepares professionals who are competent to perform and interpret laboratory tests, and to explain the appropriate use and meaning of laboratory tests to other health-care professionals and to the public. The curriculum is designed to develop critical thinking skills by integrating theoretical concepts with clinical laboratory training. At completion of the Medical Laboratory Science program, students will:
- Obtain acceptable samples for laboratory tests using standard phlebotomy procedures.
- Perform and evaluate pre-analytical, analytical, and post analytical procedures to ensure quality laboratory results.
- Perform and analyze results in the major areas of the clinical laboratory such as clinical chemistry, hematology, coagulation, immunohematology, microbiology, clinical immunology, and molecular pathology.
- Explain the clinical significance of laboratory procedures and test results in the diagnosis and treatment of disease and maintenance of health.
- Prioritize and perform multiple tasks for optimal patient care and efficiency.
- Evaluate quality control measures and quality assurance practices instituting proper procedures to maintain the accuracy, precision, and reliability of laboratory test results.
- Evaluate patient results in relation to quality control measures and correlate patient testing information from different laboratory departments.
- Demonstrate appropriate entry-level clinical decision-making skills when solving problems occurring while performing laboratory procedures.
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance of equipment and instruments.
- Participate in laboratory compliance with applicable regulations on safety, quality assurance, and process improvement.
- Develop instructional materials and present information using educational principles.
- Demonstrate professional behavior and interpersonal communication skills with laboratory personnel, other health care professionals, and the public.
- Demonstrate ethical standards and confidentiality with patient medical information.
- Explain the basic principles of managing people and the essential principles of clinical laboratory operations including financial management, outreach marketing, human resources management, laboratory accreditation, and total quality management.
- Explain the general principles of information management in using healthcare delivery systems to produce documents, research information, communicate with others, and effectively enter and retrieve laboratory information.
- Apply principles of information literacy and research design sufficient to evaluate published studies as an informed customer and utilize information to accomplish a specific purpose.
- Explain principles used to validate new techniques, instruments, and procedures in terms of their usefulness and practicality including constraints of laboratory personnel, equipment, space and budgetary resources.
- Recognize and act upon individual needs for continuing education as a function of growth and maintenance of professional certification.
- Demonstrate service excellence through commitment, integrity, caring and teamwork.