During their stay here, patients and their families are invited to participate in a Stroke Education Class. This multidisciplinary course is taught by team members from nursing, clinical care management, occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech-language pathology, psychology and the chaplain.
The Stroke Education Class is offered at all three of our inpatient facilities and includes information on:
- Definition of stroke, stroke prevention, risk factors, warning signs and stroke recovery
- Possible medications and medication management
- Cognitive, speech, language and swallowing deficits associated with stroke
- Physical deficits associated with stroke and adaptive equipment used to compensate for these deficits
- Role of psychology and emotional response to stroke
- Locally available resources and discharge planning