Our seating and positioning clinic began in the late 1980s, and today remains one of the only full-time seating clinics in the Carolinas. Staffed by highly experienced physical and occupational therapists, the clinic offers services to inpatients at Carolinas Rehabilitation, Carolinas Medical Center and Levine Children's Hospital as well as to outpatients from throughout North Carolina and upstate South Carolina.
Our therapists provide specialized evaluations for complex or custom medical equipment such as:
- Custom manual wheelchairs
- Power wheelchairs
- Bathing equipment
- Adaptive strollers or car seats
During the comprehensive evaluations, therapists assess various factors that can impact the patient's mobility and equipment needs including:
- Range of motion
- Pelvic and spinal alignment
- Muscle tone and strength
- Body measurements
- Skin integrity
- Functional abilities
- Home environment and accessibility
- Transportation considerations
The therapists work in cooperation with equipment providers who will provide the recommended equipment and perform maintenance as needed.
Specialized services provided by the seating and positioning clinic include:
- Computerized pressure mapping to aid in back and seat cushion selection and providing biofeedback for pressure relief techniques
- Demonstration of equipment available for patient trials
- Providing the necessary documentation to assist with equipment authorizations by insurance
- Scheduling return visits to ensure that the equipment is a proper fit and providing follow up instruction on its use
Seating and positioning clinic services are available with a physician referral. For more information, call 704-355-4325.