The season’s heat and sunshine can aggravate lymphedema. Take these steps to stay comfortable:
- Plan outdoor activities for cooler morning or evening hours. To cool off, seek an air-conditioned area, go for a swim or take a lukewarm shower.
- Wear loose, lightweight and light-colored clothing.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid salty snacks.
- Wear gloves when gardening.
- Apply sunscreen and wear shoes when outdoors.
- Use insect repellent and treat bites and stings with an antihistamine, a hydrocortisone cream or an ointment that contains aluminum sulfate.