Carolinas HealthCare System

Carolinas HealthCare System News
When the Power Goes Out, Take These Steps to Remain Safe and Sound

With extreme winter weather hitting Charlotte, NC and the region, and the possibility of widespread power outages, Carolinas HealthCare System and the Carolinas Poison Center have a few safety tips to remember:

If you lose power remember:

  • Never use a charcoal or gas grill inside a house, garage, closed-in porch, or tent. Do not use charcoal in the fireplace.
  • When using the fireplace to burn wood or gas logs, make sure the flue is open and the chimney is not blocked.
  • Do not use a kerosene heater or gas logs for heat unless you have a working carbon monoxide alarm.
  • Never use a generator inside your home - not even in the basement, garage or porch. Keep it outside, far away from the house.
  • Never use a gas stove or oven to heat the house.
  • If you have non-English speaking neighbors, let them know of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning when the power goes out.
  • If your power is out for more than a couple of hours, throw away food in your refrigerator that has a temperature higher than 40 degrees.
  • Keep the refrigerator and freezer closed as much as possible to maintain the cold.
  • If the freezer is half full, food will keep for up to 24 hours. If the freezer is full, food will keep up to 48 hours.
About Carolinas HealthCare System
Who We Are
Leadership
Community Benefit
Corporate Financial Information
Diversity & Inclusion
Annual Report
Foundation
Patient Links
Pay Your Bill
Hospital Pre-Registration
Patient Rights
Privacy Policy
Financial Assistance
Quality & Value Reports
Insurance
Careers
Join Carolinas HealthCare System
Physician Careers

For Employees
Carolinas Connect
Connect with Us
Watch Carolinas HealthCare on YoutubeFollow Carolinas HealthCare on TwitterLike Carolinas HealthCare on FacebookContact Carolinas HealthCareJoin Carolinas HealthCare on LinkedInGo to our mobile website.