Patient & Visitor Alert: Because flu cases are on the rise, starting February 24, children 12 and younger will be restricted from visiting hospitals and certain inpatient facilities throughout Carolinas HealthCare System. Learn more.
CMC-Waxhaw, Union County's first free-standing emergency department, will open for patients on Monday, Dec. 12 at 7 a.m.
The adjoining medical office building also will open to patients on the same day; opening office hours for the medical practices are later. CMC-Waxhaw, the second healthcare pavilion developed by Carolinas HealthCare System, is at 2700 Providence Road South at the intersection of Providence Road and Gray Byrum Road.
"We are extremely excited to open this wonderful facility for the people of Union County," said Joe Piemont, President and Chief Operating Officer of Carolinas HealthCare System. "Since western Union County is among the fastest-growing urban areas in the country, having this 24-hour emergency department and these medical practices conveniently located will be of tremendous benefit to the families, businesses and schools in the area.
"Free-standing emergency departments have proven their value and benefit for the care of patients all over the country," Piemont said. "Our success with the healthcare pavilion in Steele Creek has shown patients enthusiastically respond to the convenience and personal service they receive at these facilities. We intend to provide that same level of care at our new healthcare pavilion in Union County."
CMC-Waxhaw operates as an extension of Carolinas Medical Center-Union in Monroe. Its 21,000 square feet includes:
• eight treatment rooms providing around the clock emergency care from physicians who are board certified in emergency medicine
• two observation beds for patients who need additional examination and treatment
• diagnostic imaging including a CT scanner, ultrasound and X-ray
• complete laboratory services
• a helipad for helicopter transfer of patients with severe trauma
• on-site medical practices including Charlotte Medical Clinic, Medical Group of Waxhaw, Union Obstetrics & Gynecology, Union Pulmonary & Sleep Specialists, and Union Surgical Associates
• a community room that will be available free for meetings of civic and business organizations.
An open house for the public will be held Saturday, Dec. 10 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Visitors can tour the facility, meet the physicians and staff, and enjoy free food, prizes and activities for children. Because of the anticipated crowds, parking for the public open house will be provided at Kensington Elementary School, with a free shuttle service to and from CMC-Waxhaw.
CHS opened its first healthcare pavilion on Nov. 16, 2009 in southwestern Mecklenburg County. Patient volume at CMC-Steele Creek has far exceeded initial projections.
CHS also is developing healthcare pavilions in Kannapolis (opening in January of 2012) and Huntersville (opening in the spring of 2012). Additional plans are underway for a healthcare pavilion in Harrisburg.
For more information about CMC-Waxhaw, visit www.cmc-waxhaw.org.