Monroe at a Glance
- Union County is ranked as the fastest growing county in the State of North Carolina
- Both the best of rural and suburban living
- Centrally located, and approximately 20 miles from Charlotte, North Carolina
- County seat is Monroe, a town of approximately 25,000
- Arts and crafts festivals
- Numerous musical performances
- Local museums
- Beautiful recreation facilities at Cane Creek Park
- Union County Farmers' Market
- Fine antique dealers
- Eight golf courses
- Just over three hours to the South Carolina beaches
- Active community
- January: average low 30º - average high 49º
- July: average low 70º - average high 90º
- Sunny days: 214/year
- Average precipitation: 43.1 in.
- Average snowfall: 5-6 in.
- Strong public school system
- The Union County Public School system is known for its high quality education. Both year-round and traditional school calendars are available
- South Piedmont Community College
- Wingate University, a small, Baptist-affiliated college provides undergraduate and graduate studies to approximately 1500 students. The University, founded in 1896, is known for its international study programs, its low student-teacher ratio and convenient location. A pharmacy school was added to Wingate University in the fall of 2004.
- Career opportunities in Union County are numerous
- Union County's major industries include manufacturing, healthcare, education, agribusiness, local governments, construction and retail
- Several international companies have locations here
- Union County also boasts a low unemployment rate
- In the past two decades, Union County has also become home to a burgeoning film industry. The county has been featured in a number of television movies and feature films including The Color Purple.
- We have it all! A great variety including Southern cooking, sushi, Italian, Mexican, seafood and more.
Where do I live?
- Wide variety of real estate options in Union County
- Given the convenient proximity to Charlotte, many of our residents live in the city, while others live in suburban areas such as Ballantyne or Matthews
More about Monroe